Then I cut that pattern out of medium thick leather from the local surplus store. The leather is about 3/8" thick and stiff but not unbendable. Which is good for a shoe which should more or less stand up by itself.
I embroidered a motif on the leather uppers (which is Hannunvaakuna/St Johns Arms, fyi). Then I cut from random fabric the shape of the upper + seam allowance, to be a lining (and protect the back of the emboidery. While everything was still flat I sewed the lining to the upper with blanket stitch around the top opening of the shoe. So I had pieces that looked like this:
So the sole. I took mine off a pair of old Keds. I liked that the high rubber sidewall on that kind of shoe gives me something good to sew into, plus it is a teeny precaution against water. I cut the uppers off the shoes and then, because the Keds were so old, I could basically just rip out the old insole, and wind up with something like this:
I pre-poked holes in the sole too, to match the upper, but I didn't really wind up using them because it was actually pretty easy to shove the needle through the rubber (plus after all the futzing around the holes in the uppers and the soles didn't actually match up...)
I cut a new leather insole with some help from the insole I had ripped out. And let me just say, thick leather insoles are THE BEST because they mold to the form of your foot over time. I don't like shoes with "support" because I have high, wierdly placed arches, and the "support" usually digs into some other part of my foot - so I just get my shoes as flat and thin as possible - but wow, the accidentally custom molded soles in these are SO COMFY. A great accident.
So next I pinned the upper to the sole around the toe of the shoe. I used straight pins, and I stabbed them in, trying to match the pre-marked holes on the sole and upper. This was most important and useful around the toe of the shoe. To mold the single piece of leather around the sharp curve and sort of straight line of the toe I had to cut little notches in the toe area, which then got held down by the stitching. Worked really well, actually.
Starting with the toe was pretty much completely mandatory, because, since I was putting the shoe together all rightside out, I had to be sticking my hand inside the shoe to get to the toe. It was the least horrendously difficult to do it toe first and then work my way around the outside of the shoe.
On the inside of the shoe I arranged the lining so it came down inside the sole-sidewall, and that way the sidewall was enclosed.
And then I started sewing! With two threaded needles, going in and out the same holes in opposite directions. It took probably two seconds before I stabbed myself quite unpleasantly on all the straight pin ends sticking into the shoe's interior.
After finishing the toe, I sewed down one side of the shoe and then the other.
When I came to the back of the shoe, I turned the lining edges under before sewing them down. The edges of the upper were supposed to butt against each other on the outside, but they didn't quite end up meeting. Its fine, it's only visible from very close.
And then I stuffed the leather insole in there on top of all the lining seam allowances and yeah, finished shoes!