I looked at probably 25 bookbinding tutorials of all sorts before I began - I found this one especially useful. I just read enough to get a good idea of the general steps and terminology, so that I could reapply the concepts to my project.
And that is where I stopped taking pictures, of course.
I added fabric parts along the spine and on each corner for reinforcement (and of course because it looks cool). Then I glued the text block into the cover - I only glued the covers, not the spine, so it would be able to open more easily. And it wound up mostly straight! The covers of the book text and the modern section match, so they look like a set. I need to add some kind of label to the covers still. But the book has been really handy and very functional, and I'm quite pleased with it!