1840s Wool winter bonnet, 2014
I made this with the intention to wear it as a winter hat but it didn't fit over any hair styles that were higher than the nape of my neck so it saw little wear.
The brim is stiffened with 4 layers of felt sewn in shape and the crown stiffened with 2 layers of felt. The outside is wool and the lining cotton flannel. The ties are cotton bias. It definitely needs a pile of trim
Black straw bonnet, 2018
When I started this I thought it was going to be a 1810s style poke bonnet, but when I finished it and put it on, the silhouette was definitely more 1840s - and comparison to extant bonnets seems to support that.
Made from a straw sunhat, which I unwound the whole brim and re-stitched the straw into this new shape, starting from the original crown. Fully lined, with a bit of subtle trim around the opening. Brim is stiffened with a bit of buckram and some random canvas, and the edge is wired.